Finances and costs

Other costs

Besides tuition fees, you will have other expenses as well, such as rent, the cost of books, living expenses and visa charges.

Visa costs 

If you apply for a study visa (MVV/VVR), you will have to show us that you are able to support yourself financially.

2017 Exchange students   Students doing Global Project and Change Management
Proof of sufficient financial means You must have at least €867,68 multiplied by the length of your stay in months (to be transferred to our bank account as a lump sum or by means of a bank statement)  You must have at least €10.412,16 per year (to be transferred to our bank account as a lump sum)
Visa application fees
  • Entry visa (MVV) and residence permit (VVR): €317
  • Residence permit (VVR) without MVV: €317
  • Entry visa (MVV) and residence permit (VVR): €317
  • Residence permit (VVR) without MVV: €317
Extension to residence permit  €159  €159

Cost of accommodation

You should expect to pay roughly €380 to €500 a month in rent, per person. Prices depend on the room size, type of room (single or double) and facilities. We have several residential sites in Zwolle and we work with SSH to help students find suitable places to live. You will also have various one-off accommodation expenses, such as a registration fee and administration charges.

You should allow for decorating and furnishing your room as well. Global Project and Change Management students are required to live in the WHC student residence in the first year. You will have a decorated and furnished room in an apartment, which you will share with three other students from the programme.

More about accommodations

Renting an apartment yourself

If you are at least eighteen years old and you live in an apartment that you rent yourself, you can apply for housing benefit ('Huursubsidie'). The benefit is up to €160, depending on your parents' income or your own income, if any. It's up to you to apply for housing benefit yourself. You can apply only if you have a 'citizen service number' (BSN). As a foreign student, you can apply to the local town hall for a BSN within two weeks of arriving.

Other things you may need to pay for 

Books and materials

BA degree students have to pay for their own books and readers – roughly €500 per year in addition to tuition fees. Exchange students only have to pay a small amount for readers. 


A laptop is essential for studying at Windesheim. You need to provide your own laptop, but we will provide you with free Microsoft Office software. 

Student society membership fee

A quick and easy way to meet other students is joining a student society. Membership fees are typically about €50 a year.

Living expenses

You will need budget for things such as food, clothes, travel, going out and using your mobile phone. What you spend will depend on your lifestyle, but €500 a month is fairly normal. 

Health and liability insurance

Dutch law requires everybody living in the Netherlands to have health insurance. That includes students who are only here for a few months. You are also strongly advised to arrange third-party liability insurance for the duration of your stay. Insurance costs vary for international students. Dutch students pay between €80 and €120.

Student discounts

Many bars, restaurants, museums and cinemas give student discounts. Most ask for proof in the form of a student card. You should check in advance whether a student discount is available.
With an International Student Identity Card (ISIC), you can get some attractive discounts and offers on travel, shopping, museums and more, especially if you're an international student. Find out more on the ISIC website

Working while studying

If you are from an EU or EEA country (other than Croatia) or a Swiss national, you can work as much as you like while studying, without needing a permit. If you are from another country, you can either do seasonal work or get a small part-time job, provided you get a permit. If you work, you must get local medical insurance; for details, also about taking an internship, use the links below. Find out more on taking an internship and working while studying on the Study in Holland website